Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Sattwa Chai: Chai Direct Review

I am always open towards trying new products. Especially when they are things I normally don't lean towards but since I have tried Chai Tea before at a tea house and thought it was ok and knowing my husband drinks tea on occassion, I thought why not?!?!



I got a lovely brew of Chai Microbrewed concentrate in the mail from Sattwa Chai. Not only did I get a huge bottle, I also got an informational packet with it.  First off the bat, I loved that the instructions on the bottle were simple - a 1 to 1 ratio (tea to water or milk). Pretty simple! My husband always drinks iced tea or chilled sun tea, so I thought I would set him up with a cold mix of the tea concentrate and milk. Review Tip #907, Never ask your husband to help you with a review when he is tired after coming home from work.  He tried it and all I got him to say was that "It was ok.". LOL So, I move on and since I have this huge bottle, enlisted the help of a more "seasoned" tea drinker, my friend Andrea.  Here is what she had to say:

"The chai is much more smooth and mellow than many others already on the market, which I like. It isn't as sweet, which I also like. There are deeper notes of cinnamon and clove, more so than in other chais, but less honey, which is usually one of my favorite parts. It goes well with regular milk as well as soy milk, so that's a plus. Some chais really only go with one or the other, but this brand seems to have a good balance for both. I do prefer more of the honey flavor, but I do appreciate that it's not as sweet as many others, so that probably helps out the nutritional value as well. It is much better if you chill it first, really mellows out the spicy notes and gets rid of the bitter aftertaste. It could have been that the bottle wasn't shaken after I opened it, but time to chill and breathe made all the difference!"

Now for my turn. My first Chai experience was in a Tea House in a neighboring town.  I was served a hot Chai that was pretty minty and sweet. So I figured "hot" might be the best method to try first. I mixed up my drink per the instructions (a 1 to 1 ratio). Popped it in the microwave to warm it. It smelled really good. My impression was that although it is an aquired taste, it was not too bad. It was pretty smooth. It could have been a little more sweeter for my liking, but all in all it wasn't too bad. I loved the cinnamon as it popped out into my mouth like a yummy treat.

I would definatly recommend it to other tea drinkers...as of course, it is most likely their "cup of tea".

*No monetary compensation was received for this review. Item for review was given in exchange for this honest review.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing review, tea sounds interesting to try.

    ReplyDelete